Instructions For Completing MSCAT Certification
1. Go to https://theacmss.org
2. Click on “SIGN IN” at the top left of the screen.
3. Login using the username and password you were emailed when you were registered for the exam.
4. You will be redirected to the “MY ACCOUNT” page. You can update your contact information here.
5. To begin taking an exam, click on “CERTIFICATION ASSESSMENT” at the top of the page.
6. There are several different medical specialty exams you are able to take. Click on the name of the exam you wish to become certified in.
7. After selecting the exam name, you will be directed to the affidavit page. There are two choices of affidavits to choose from:
* If you have already completed 200 clinical hours with a provider- you receive full CMSS certification.
* If you have not already completed 200 clinical hours- you receive Certified Medical Scribe Apprentice certification. Upon completion of 200 clinical hours, you will sign a second affidavit to receive full CMSS certification.
*** Select the option that is associated with your current scribe status.
8. ONLY APPLIES TO SCRIBES WHO HAVE COMPLETED 200 CLINICAL HOURS: Select the affidavit for “Single-Step Affidavit”. Type in your name and email address. Hit submit.
9. ONLY APPLIES TO SCRIBES WHO HAVE NOT COMPLETED 200 CLINICAL HOURS: Select the affidavit for “Two-Step Affidavit”. Type in your name and email address. Hit submit.
10. You will instantly receive an email with a link to sign the affidavit. Check your spam folder if you have not received the email after a few minutes. Select “Go to Documents”.
11. Read the Disclosures and Consent document and then select “Accept” at the bottom right corner. You will then be redirected to the document to sign. Fill in the following information including your name, contact information, and the name of the facility where you will be working. Once completed, hit “Sign”. You will be able to download a copy of your completed affidavit.
12. You will receive email confirmation once your document has been submitted. ACMSS will review and process the affidavit. You will not receive notification once the exam has been activated, but can check the status online.
13. You can check the status of your account by logging back into www.theacmss.org. Click on “CERTIFICATION ASSESSMENT” at the top of the page.
14. Click on the specialty name for the exam you wish to take (Ex: GENERAL). You will then see that the link to begin the exam has been activated.
15. You will have 1 hour and 50 minutes to take the exam. You must receive a score of 80% or higher to receive a passing score. There are 100 questions on the exam.
* As you complete each question, the numbered box will turn green.
* You can select the “REVIEW” button to flag questions that you want to recheck prior to submitting the exam. The numbered box will turn orange.
16. Once you have answered all 100 questions, push the “FINISH Certification” button to submit your exam.
17. The exam will be graded instantly and you will be able to see your score on the next screen. If you received an 80% or higher, you will be issued a certificate. Select “PRINT YOUR CERTIFICATE” to download a copy of your CMSS certificate. You will receive a confirmation email once you have passed the exam.
18. If you did not receive an 80% or higher, select “Click Here To Continue” and you will be taken back to the assessment screen. You will be able to retake the exam.